Village Artisans is an artist cooperative in the village of Yellow Springs, Ohio located in the Corry Street Shops. Come and browse the shop’s collection of unique handmade art created by local artists and offered at affordable prices. Village Artisans Shop is open Monday through Thursday 11:00AM – 5:00PM, Friday and Saturday 11:00AM – 6:00PM and Sunday 12:00PM to 5:00PM.
Our woodturner, Lowell Converse, was born and raised in Kingsport, Tennessee where he found an early interest in working with wood while carving neckerchief slides for his Boy Scout uniform. Watching woodturners during visits to Gatlinburg sparked a desire to learn the craft. And he did, while serving 23 years in the US Air Force. It was an intermittent hobby until subsequent to his retirement in 1987 he came across Jim Burrowes who became his teacher and mentor in 1997. Jim helped him discover new equipment and processes that raised his work to a higher level. One result was that he qualified as a member in Village Artisans in 1998 and has been with us ever since.
Lowell’s work exhibits the beauty found in wood from the trees in Ohio. His emphasis is on form, feel and finish such that his work needs to be picked up and handled to be fully appreciated. A look at his display in our shop shows the surprising variety of quality wood items that can be produced on the wood lathe.
Lowell lives in Beavercreek where his shop is in his garage, where he can be found most days amongst a pile of wood shavings.
Artisans and their craft
- Amy Achor, photographic art
- Tara Anderson, ceramics
- Jennifer Berman, cartoons and prints
- Sue Brezine, watercolor painting
- Carol Culbertson, ceramic and weaving
- Lowell Converse, wood turning
- Bill Felker, book binding
- Pam Geisel, art quilt
- Sara Gray, fused and stained glass
- Talitha Greene, jewelry
- Rosie Huart, mixed media
- Theresa Mayer, lampwork and fused glass
- Cynthia McDonald, gourd art
- Leah Mendenhall, oil and acrylic paintings
- Melanie Gleaves Morrett, print making and oil paintings
- Kathryn Pitstick, mixed media
- Libby Rudolf, watercolor paintings and mixed media
- Ryan Taylor, photography
- Barbara Vandecreek, lampwork and glass jewelry
- Diane Schwob Zubrick, eco print scarves and ceramics
last updated 6/30/21