… is an artist cooperative in the village of Yellow Springs, Ohio located in the Corry Street Shops. Come and browse the shop’s collection of unique handmade art created by local artists and offered at affordable prices. Village Artisans Shop is open Monday through Thursday 11:00AM – 5:00PM, Friday and Saturday 11:00AM – 6:00PM and Sunday 12:00PM to 5:00PM.
BARBARA VANDECREEK AND HER ART!
Barbara Vandecreek was born in Chicago, Illinois, and grew up there. She has always been interested in art and holds an art minor in college. For 39 years she was a public-school teacher and an administrator. She is now retired. In addition to creating two-dimensional artwork, she became interested in three-dimensional materials. Woodturning became her focus for about 8 years. Barbara states, “I loved the touch of wood and the feel of tools cutting a block into circles with wood scraps curling and flying around the lathe and me.”
About 10 years ago she was introduced to Lampwork, glass bead making, and began taking classes to learn techniques. There is a wide curve in learning the tools, equipment, and glass supplies. She says the greatest challenge in designing a bead is using colored glass. For the glass artist, bead making is all about experimentation.
The glass beads are not really a product in themselves, but they do lend themselves to designing a wide variety of creations. Barbara uses the beads to design necklaces, bracelets, earrings, and broaches. Also, her beads are used in suncatchers, bookmarks, appetizer tools, and more.
Barbara continues to enjoy drawing and creates zentangle designs. She has zentangle cards available at the Village Artisans as well as her collection of glass bead items.
Artisans and their craft
- Amy Achor, photographic art
- Tara Anderson, ceramics
- Jennifer Berman, cartoons and prints
- Sue Brezine, watercolor painting
- Carol Culbertson, ceramic and weaving
- Lowell Converse, wood turning
- Bill Felker, book binding
- Pam Geisel, art quilt
- Sara Gray, fused and stained glass
- Talitha Greene, jewelry
- Rosie Huart, mixed media
- Theresa Mayer, lampwork and fused glass
- Cynthia McDonald, gourd art
- Leah Mendenhall, oil and acrylic paintings
- Melanie Gleaves Morrett, print making and oil paintings
- Kathryn Pitstick, mixed media
- Libby Rudolf, watercolor paintings and mixed media
- Ryan Taylor, photography
- Barbara Vandecreek, lampwork and glass jewelry
- Diane Schwob Zubrick, eco print scarves and ceramics
Updated last: 1/14/21